Mission

The purpose of this blog will be to spread the sound of recordings which are out of print, old as the hills or otherwise dead in some way, perhaps via the non-digital media on which it is stored. I'd like to take advantage of the possibilities presented by the internet to spread great music for free which otherwise would never be heard by...YOU. If you, however, are the custodian of the audio which I upload, and wish me to take it down please let me know. Conversely, if you would like higher quality files and have significant reason, also let me know and I'll surely see what I can do.

6.3.11

Songs from the Depths of Hell

Aleksander Kulisiewicz
Songs From the Depths of Hell

I was going to begin with this album, which I ripped from vinyl.  I forgot that it was on Smithsonian Folkways, and you can purchase it on cd and download, in fact.  Instead, I suggest that if you are interested check it out.  Aleksander survived the Sachsenhausen concentration camp and went on to write and record this album.  I feel like anything I say about this album would be redundant, as you should just read the liner notes.  They're a free pdf available from Smithsonian Folkways.  This is mostly a vocal album.  Sometimes with a guitar from a Jewish musician who was sent to die.

I'll begin with a real first post, with download, soon. No later than tomorrow, but I need to scan the art first.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to soak up anything that is relevant to the Nazi occupation. This is a brilliant look into the life and experience of a real person. Thanks for making this available Lather. If you make tea and cakes I'll come over and listen to the vinyl.

    ReplyDelete